Potatoes, Anything

Potatoes, Anything

I started my week on Saturday and will be ending it on Sunday. It began with the thrashing of the broom, sponge, cleanser, and a prayer with sage smoke. Intensely studying Mandarin in high school and taking great risks with anxiety, my son suggested we offer our home...
Crowded by Crowd Funding

Crowded by Crowd Funding

GoFundMe. YouCaring. Kickstarter. In my daily sojourn through social media, I am bound to see links to at least one of these sites. Over the years I’ve donated to budding restaurants, film projects, cancer patients, and even to a friend who knits premiums to entice...
Thoughts about Mom.1

Thoughts about Mom.1

My mom lives in a tiny complex of homes that shares a pool area. I was finishing up my twilight dip tonight when a neighbor showed up and asked me to help her cover the pool for the night, which I did. Once she found out I was Monica’s daughter, she told me how...
Why I Support Pascale

Why I Support Pascale

Ed note: Since this essay was published, Fusshoeller has secured her green card. She continues to inform our community via Yubanetcom.–CC Last fall, I made a decision to publicly support a colleague of mine who found herself in imminent danger of being deported....

Flight Delay

The neat thing about a flight delay is that you get to know the community that exists on any commercial plane. The grandma from Kansas, traveling with her grandboys to see her son, their father. The woman up all night gambling in Vegas. The businessman who had a beer...